You all must have noticed that I recently added Discord to my social profile.
Table of Contents
- What is Discord?
- How I use Discord
- How you, as a blogger can use Discord
What is Discord?
Discord is a collaboration and helping chatting platform. It has many features that are great for any website developer and blogger to use.
In Discord, you can make many “servers” for free. Servers are kind of groups created for a specific purpose. Check out my server here. Discord is like Slack but I think it is better because it includes more features (in a free account). In servers, you can make sub-groups or channels for different purposes, you can make rules which would be adhered to by all the members, and on top of that, you can make your own bot and add other authentic bots. Bots are members of your server that are not actually human and are used to message or ban and perform other activities when a certain member of your server does something. For example, in my Discord server, if you type “hello” in any of the sub-groups, you will receive a reply from a bot.
There are many types of channels in a discord server. Once you add one group, it asks you what type of a group you need:
Depending on your choice, you can select these ones:
Text channel: To chat, type, send images, and many other things. It is great and ideal for chatting and talking with each other.
Voice Channel: To talk to each other. It is like a Zoom call. You can screen-share and talk. You can also switch on your video.
Announcement Channel: If you post anything in this channel, it will post on the servers that are following your server. It is great for telling your customers and viewers what is new in your book, website, blog, etc.
Stage Channel: It is a voice channel for hosting events. It is just like an actual stage, except, online.
Another thing to note about Discord is that it is completely safe. It says in the URL:
How I use Discord
I use discord as a platform to interact with you. It helps me help you in various aspects of website-developing and story-making. I will brief you on my rules and conditions in discord, how you can follow me and the opportunities in my Discord here:
The names/ words writing after @ are roles and the names/words written after # are channels(@role and #channel).
I think these rules are pretty self explanatory and I would explain rules #1, #2 and #4 in opportunities of my Discord.
How you can follow me and chat with me on Discord:
Go to Discord and create your account if you haven’t.
Enter your details and then press on continue.
After verifying that you are a human by ticking the checkbox;
It will take you to your server. Then, open this. This will redirect you to the page where you accept my invite.
Then you just have to accept my rules and alas! You can message!
Opportunities in my discord:
1. Writers: For me, one of the greatest titles would be the title of being a writer and blogger and of helping others write. If you send me any of your composed writing work, may it be a fantastic book, a fabulous story, or even a brilliant poem, I would accept it all! But before that, you will have to follow me on my website. Also, do not forget to mention your name, along with your Discord nickname. If that is not mentioned, your email would be disregarded. Once you send me, hold on, while I review what you have written, and alas! The next moment you know, you will be a Writer in My Discord server! With this, you will get many permissions! You will be able to send /tts messages, you would be able to manage your own nickname, view all message history (you only view a few of them once you join my server), and many other things! I would also like to inform you that I would not share your work with anyone and your work would remain yours.
2. The Hall of Writers: At the end of each week, I would shortlist a few of the best writing works. Then, I would send those writers a message on Discord, asking whether or not it is ok to publish their work on discord. If they allow, I would publish their work in the Discord (I would mention that it is not mine) and they would be promoted to the Hall of Writers. This will make them have even more permissions. I would mention them to you because I would like to keep them a secret. If they do not allow me to publish their work on Discord, they would still be promoted to the Hall of Writers but people would not know why they are promoted and many other things. I suggest you let me publish it because only the people who are on my server would see it.
3. Developers: Well, if you aren’t a writer, there is still a chance for you to gain certain permissions! After you have started following me on my website, you can send me any of your website URLs along with your name and Discord nickname. Please do not forget to mention your name, along with your Discord nickname. If that is not mentioned, your email would be disregarded. Once you send me, hold on while I check out your website. The next moment you know, you are a Developer in Discord! You will get the same permissions as those of a Writer!
4. The Hall of Developers: If your website has everything an ideal website needs and is good, you may be shortlisted at the end of each week for the Hall of Developers. I would directly post your website URL and your nickname until and unless you mention it in your email, because –Well– who does not like those views on their website? You will get the same permissions as that of writers in The Hall of Writers.
How you, as a blogger, can use Discord:
As I have said before, Discord is a great platform to interact with your customers and viewers. You can chat with them about how they feel about your blogs if you are meeting their standards and expectations and hold a live event. If you are a blogger and you want to display your blogs, here are 3 reasons why you should use Discord:
- To Reach out: Think of your viewers as your friends. Occasionally ask them if anything is required, how the performance of the blog is and how you could make your blogs better. Their suggestions matter as much as your blog. Take their constructive criticism positively. Make sure that your customers are happy and satisfied with your services.
- To announce: If you think that newsletter-making is too hectic and tough, you can use Discord to announce! It is great because it helps you send messages to a common channel and it would be posted automatically to the servers following it! You can include pictures, make text bold by putting text between two * and do many other functions! You can also make your bots reply to the conversation.
- To stage: This feature was introduced by Discord in March and it is definitely a great feature. It is a voice channel that helps you stage your event. It is like a virtual spotlight stage and hosting webinars and events like launching a new product or book.
Not only this, you can use discord to learn more about your audience, which will help you decide the type of blogs you would want to publish. You can even chat with people personally in discord. It is not necessary to make a server for that.
Like me, you can create many opportunities which will keep your users and views engaged. Your Discord server can also make the viewers interact with each other. Most of your viewers would like talking to others like them and this would increase your popularity!